Monday, April 18, 2011

The Massage Therapy Niche In Trinidad & Tobago

How To Establish Your Massage Therapy Practice

This blog is a result of a decision I made a couple of months ago to target a specific niche.  I chose the Massage Therapy niche because of personal reasons which I rather not share here.   

What I would like to share is my experience so far with in the niche.  Hopefully as a therapist you will learn something from my experience. 

My research had indicated that the niche was small, maybe a bit too small but I also saw signs of growth and since I had already made the decision I decided to follow it through.   A quick search on the net came up with a school run by a therapist in Marabella. Madam Professor Emeritus Pearl Gopaul.  The website described the school as;
.
 “A…private, non-profit, professional tertiary level institution, educating and training massage therapists for top level careers in these professions.

 Established in 1997 by Pearl Gopaul at her residence, #19 Cedar Drive, Marabella, the school outgrew its space after two years and now occupies 11,500sq.ft. of land at #68 Market Street, the building has an area of 5,400sq.ft”.

 After skimming the site my impression was that this it was a well established organization. 

I called the number on the site.  After explaining who I was and asking to speak to Madam Gopaul, the person who answered advised that I send M. Gopaul an email explaining myself to her.  “No problem”, I said. I left a message with my phone number and got the email address.   

Email sent; no response, no call.

Forgive them Lord… this is a common occurrence in Trinidad so I intentionally leave the barest of information when I leave a message.   

IMHO two forms of message the Madame must have gotten one.  
   
Next I did a search online and located about 3 local therapist.  The first one I contacted went by the single name Rinalda.  She operated in the Port of Spain area and according to her “not originally from Trinidad”.

  After a couple of phone calls back and forth she explained that she could not assist but she offered a few suggestions which I gladly noted.  She also asked to add my email address to her list.  She apparently had built an email list of people she contacted or massaged. 

“Of course”,  I said and have not regretted it yet.   

In fact, I liked them so much that offered to set up a blog for her ; free of charge.  She declined, she was “not that organized”  to consistently maintain a blog.  A short time later she sent me a link to a blog.  It was nicely done but I think she know herself well because don’t think she ever maintained it.   The emails started coming again without any reference to the blog. 

The next therapist I contacted was a totally different experience.  I'll share that with you in another post.  Just want to keep this short.  Feel free to make a comment or just jump off and return some other time.  

Stay blessed. 

1 comment:

  1. Was interested in the outcome and what occurred next. Are you still practicing?

    ReplyDelete

All spam messages will be deleted from this blog. If that is your intent please don't waste your time. Comments are moderated and only allowed if it relates to the post or massage therapy in general.